Lead Software Engineer - React, React Native or Elixir (Chicago)
You’re an experienced Software Engineer and you have a deep understanding of React or React Native (Elixir or Ruby a plus). You’re a natural leader. You’ll take part in architectural decisions on our projects. You’ll work with the team to ensure consistency across projects (effective use of automated tests, coding standards, frameworks, patterns, etc.). We’re a digital product development agency and you’ll occasionally work directly with our clients to train their engineers on-site in order to transition development to them. You’ll also be heads down coding the other half of the time.
You’ll be a valued team member and build mobile and web applications for our clients. We operate like a startup, even when building products for large companies, and leverage the latest software development practices. You’ll have autonomy to make decisions and influence the technical direction of the company.
Foxbox Digital is an award-winning engineering-focused product development agency. With a history of launching successful digital products, we’ve helped Fortune 100 companies, and high-growth startups architect, develop and deploy products used by hundreds of thousands of people.
Headquartered in Chicago, Foxbox Digital is focused on helping customers build beautiful digital experiences across mobile and web. Specializing in developing with React, React Native & Elixir, we have a rare combination of engineering and product management expertise.
What you'll do
- Deliver high-quality code for clients with React and React Native (and Elixir if you can)
- Influence the technical architecture for our projects
- Coach and mentor a team of experienced Software Engineers
- Participate in the hiring process to screen and interview candidates
- Occasionally travel to clients and work on-site (project kickoffs, train development teams)
- Ensure consistency across projects: automated testing, coding standards, libraries, development process
- Work with great productivity tools: Gitlab, Slack
- Report directly to the CEO (former CTO who will support and train you)
Who you are
- Experienced React Engineer (React Native, Ruby, Elixir a plus)
- Test-focused: leverage automated testing to produce stable code
- Care about code quality: coding standards and enforcing well-written code
- Ability to work on multiple projects while leading an engineering team
- Strong desire to learn: you’re always looking for ways to improve your abilities
- Opinionated: you have a strong opinion and you aren’t afraid to speak up
- Exceptional communication skills – written, oral, visual, formal, informal (you’ll meet with clients in-person and on calls)
- Based in Chicago
Why Foxbox Digital?
- Work directly with an experienced CTO and entrepreneur who has built and lead development teams at multiple venture-backed companies along with an experienced and entrepreneurial Project Manager
- Remote-first company: work from our Chicago office, or home, on your schedule. Our development team is based in South America.
- Healthcare benefits
- Unlimited time off
- Autonomy to lead exciting projects and structure how projects are run.